C.R.R. Opponent Wins in Election At Dudley House

After deciding in a close vote to send a representative to the Committee on Rights and Responsibilities, Dudley House has elected a candidate to the CRR whose platform is "We shouldn't send a representative."

"I will resign at a time I think appropriate unless certain conditions-such as the opening of CRR meetings, if requested, and the changing of responsibilities of the CRR-are met," Roy Mendelssohn '71 said yesterday.

"My interest in withdrawing is to bring out the issues involved with CRR." Mendelssohn said. "It would bring out who's brought in front of the CRR and why, and it would have people realize the lack of student support for CRR."

The election, which was carried out through mailed ballots, drew "one of the highest turnouts of any Dudley House election: 43 per cent," Stan Ellis '71, chairman of the House Committee, said yesterday.

The ballots consisted of two questions-first, whether Dudley House should send a representative to CRR and second, who the representative should be.

Seventy voted for sending a representative and 66 voted against. The number of valid votes for the second question was 125, of which Mendelssohn received 65, or 52 per cent, in a three-man race.

One of the losing candidates. Ron Rennick '71, charged that "the radicals-the 'no representative' faction"-structured the ballot "in line with their views."

"They came out in large number to the House Committee meeting that was deciding on the ballot," he said. "And anyone who shows up gets to vote."

Dudley House elected a representative to the CRR last Spring, but Quincy House, the other House selected for representation, refused to send anyone. However, the Quincy House Committee decided this Fall to send a representative to the CRR despite last Spring'svote. Frederic D. Barton was chosen in a House-wide run-off election held October 29, Dudley House now appears to be the more reluctant to participate.

"Despite the fact that it was a vote to send a representative," said Mendelssohn, "a majority of the House that voted on the issue was against the CRR."