Freshman Sports Bears Take Two Games From Yardling Squads

The Yardlings dropped an 18-9 football decision to Brown yesterday in Providence-their second loss of the season after an opening three-game winning streak.

The Crimson scored first on a 34-yard field goal by Bruce Tetrick.

The Bears went ahead later in the first quarter on a two-yard plunge by Dan Walus. Curt Zingaris set up the touchdown with a 49-yard scamper.

The extra point try failed and Brown led 6-3 at the end of the first quarter.

The only score in the second quarter came on an exciting Brown pass play. Quarterback Dan Bogan flipped a short pass to Dominic Starsia who then lateralled to Bruce Watson who scored to give Brown a 12-3 lead.

Dive

Following a sustained drive in the third quarter. Brown scored on a one yard dive by Watson. The conversion failed and Brown led 18-3.

In a last-ditch effort, the Crimson finally scored a touchdown late in the fourth quarter. The third Yardling quarterback of the game. David Driaric, throw a pass to Gerald Chase to make the final score 18-9. The attempt for two points was short.

Soccer

Harvard's freshman soccer team suffered its first defeat of the season, 4-0, yesterday afternoon in a pouring rain storm against undefeated Brown, in Providence.

"The conditions were ideal for Brown," said Crimson coach Dana Getchell. "They had the perfect team for a mud bowl. They possessed the physical strength and power. I didn't."

The freshmen, who now have a 7-1 record, were down early in the contest as Brown scored after only 47 seconds. The Bruins capitalized on the playing conditions twice during a five minute span in the second period to build a 3-0 halftime lead.

'Non-Soccer'

"It was a non-soccer game, and we could barely muster an attack on their goal," Getchell said. In the second half the temperature dropped, and "the field became a quagmire," he said.

However, the Yardlings played evenly with Brown until the Bruins scored their final goal with only 30 seconds left.

The freshmen are idle until their final game at 2:30 p.m. Friday against Yale. The Elis started the season slowly but came along to tie Brown, 1-1, in the second meeting between the two this season. The Bruins won the first contest, 3-1. The game will be played on the Business School field.