Five Readies for Season; Varsity to Play Freshmen

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The calibre of House basketball this winter should be higher than it was last year. More varsity lettermen will be playing for their House teams than in previous years, and ten sophomores on the 14-man varsity are the reason.

The influx of sophomores from last season's talent-laden freshman team bodes well for Harvard's basketball future and should mean an exciting House season this winter, but while gaining experience at the varsity level, the Crimson could have its troubles in the Ivy League race.

Three returning lettermen-All-Ivy guard and captain Dale Dover, highscoring junior Matt Bozek, and 6' 6" forward Brian Newmark-form the nucleus of this year's team. With senior transfer student Hal Calbom, who is presently the team's sixth man, the lettermen will have to provide leadership for the younger members of the squad.

Early Shakes

Because so few of its members have had experience in varsity competition, the early part of the season will be shaky. And the schedule won't help. Harvard faces Dartmouth in its Ivy opener, then defending Ivy champion Penn, Princeton, and Dartmouth again. Unless the squad jells early, it may find itself with a losing Ivy record just as the season gets underway.

The squad will have a chance to prepare for its Ivy schedule at 8 p. m. Friday in the IAB when the varsity plays this year's freshman team, whose center, 6'8" Tony Jenkins, is their leading offensive threat.

Before it meets Dartmouth on Dec. 5, Harvard has only one non-league contest. It faces Boston University on December 1 in Boston Garden in the opening round of the first annual Beanpot Basketball Tournament.

Even though his team doesn't have much time to get ready for its tough schedule, head coach Bob Harrison is optimistic about the squad's chances in the early going. "We'll have good depth and a powerful offense, but will make some mistakes because we're young. But if we can mature quickly we'll be contender for the Ivy League title," he explained.

Starting Guards

Dover and 6'6" sophomore James Brown are the starting guards at this point in the season and will give the Crimson speed and scoring in the backcourt. Floyd Lewis, a 6'7" sophomore forward who led the freshmen last year in rebounding, will team with 6'6" classmate Marshall Sanders in the corners to give Harvard strong rebounding.

Both Lewis and Brown, who paced the freshmen last year in scoring, are learning new positions. Lewis played center last winter and Brown played forward, but Harrison said that he is encouraged by the speed at which they're adjusting to the new positions. In last Friday's benefit intra-squad game, Lewis tallied 35 points and Brown added 28 in the first team's 115-91 triumph over the second team.

At center, a fourth sophomore, 6'9" Tom Mustoe, has gained starting privileges with 6'10" sophomore Fred Lang developing more slowly than expected because of an ankle injury that sidelined him for two weeks earlier this fall.

'Confident But Quiet'

"We're confident but quiet," said Dover, who will spend most of this season playmaking since his teammates can take some of the scoring pressure off him.

"The squad has some maturing to do, but these sophomores are great ballplayers, and we could surprise some people. Personally, I think we can go all the way, but we'll have to let our ballplaying speak for us," he said.