1700 Seek Harvard Ban On Lettuce

Nearly 1700 students have signed a petition calling for the removal of non-union lettuce from Harvard dining halls.

David P. Levin '71 and John H. Petrey '71, members of an ad hoc student group supporting Cesar Chavez' United Farm workers Organizing Committee, presented the petition to Harvard food purchasing agents yesterday.

L. Gard Wiggins, Administrative Vice President, denied yesterday that Harvard purchases non-union lettuce, however.

Petrey said that the nature of Harvard's lettuce purchases is unclear. "Harvard gets all of its lettuce from three wholesale companies. The companies did tell us that they get a significant amount of union lettuce."

Buyer Beware

"But Harvard would have to stipulate that it only wants union lecture from the wholesalers to make sure that's what it buys," Petrey added.

"Eighty per cent of the nation's lettuce is produced in California and Arizona," said Levin. "And since only 20 per cent of this is union lettuce, the boycott is critical."

The union contract, for which 85 per cent of the union is striking, concerns not only wage agreements but other welfare benefits.

Brandeis has already agreed to remove non-union lettuce from its food purchases, Levin said.

"We were impressed with the size of our mandate from the student body," he added, "and we will work until nonunion lettuce is eliminated from Harvard. We hope in negotiations meetings in the next few days to reach this goal."