Quincy's School Committee Seeks ROTC Program for Quincy High

While colleges around the country are in the process of winding down their ROTC programs, a growing number of secondary schools have been seeking participation in ROTC.

Quincy's school committee, in the latest example, unanimously decided last Wednesday to request development of an ROTC program in Quincy High School from the Air Force.

"We believe that this type of education is just as important as training for any other profession," Frank Anselmo, a member of the committee, said.

"The proposal was developed by students," Anselmo added. "It came from the bottom upwards. By the time it reached the school board, it was well founded."

Dave DyLimpio-the Quincy High student responsible for a petition supporting ROTC-disagreed. "The proposal definitely did not originate in the student body," said DyLimpio. "The school was, I think, approached by the Air Force."

Robert Creighton, principal of Quincy High School, agreed with DyLimpio. "Four years ago," he said, "all high school superintendents received notice that the Air Force had an authorization to establish ROTC units in high schools." It was this notice, he said, that the Quincy school department had acted upon.

Become

If the school committee's request is approved by the Air Force, Quincy will become the third Massachusetts high school to offer ROTC. Gloucester High School and Springfield Technical High are the others.

Springfield Technical High adopted the program in 1966, just after the authorization first appeared. "And to my knowledge," said Charles Powers, principal of Springfield Tech, "there is still no opposition to it."

"There has been a slight decline in enrollment this year, however," Powers added.