Gym Club Gets Ready For Meet at M. I. T.

Few athletes combine the strength of a middle linebacker with the agility of a soccer halfback. Yet members of Harvard's newly-formed Gymnastics Club practice three times a week in order to achieve this combination and become skilled gymnasts.

"Although we have a few people who are good, most of our members came out three weeks ago and just started with forward rolls," coach Bob Emery said Wednesday.

The atmosphere at practice is very relaxed. "This is a good place to come to break up the work of my labs," said Scott Werner, who has been on the team three weeks.

Emery's coaching duties range from boosting a 4' 11" member of the club to a 9' high bar to teaching complicated maneuvers on the parallel bars.

Eisenberg

Despite the number of beginners, the club has several accomplished gymnasts, Emery describes Brian Eisenberg as having "as many tricks as any other ring man in the country." Eisenberg, who suffers from a congenital birth defect, loses points in competition because he cannot dismount from the rings without the aid of an assistant.

Steye Landau, last year's captain and the team's best all-around gymnast, thinks "this is the year we start having a respectable team." Landau, who started the Harvard gymnastics program two years ago, is out until Monday with an injured shoulder. "I hurt it wrestling with a friend in my Soc Rel 120 section," he explained.

Emery's patience with the beginning gymnasts contributes to the program. "I was always interested in gymnastics and the club gives me a chance to work out without putting in a lot of time or being pressured." Werner said.

Although there are six gymnastic events, the club can only practice four because of space limitations. Radcliffe plans to provide the needed apparatus for the club's female members to practice four special women's events. Five women are on the team.

"I guess the athletic department wants to see if we are more than a casual exercise group before it gives us what we need," Emery mused.

The club's first meet is Dec. 6 against M. I. T. "We don't stand a chance against them. Most of our guys are at an advanced beginner level and they have a very fine program" Emery said.

Emery-a second-year medical student at Tufts-was the outstanding college senior gymnast in 1969. At Penn State, he worked out four hours a day, seven days a week throughout the year.