Fencers Host CCNY Today

By Martin R. Garay iii

After winning its match with little effort, the Crimson fencing team will have to exert itself a bit more today to defeat a weak CCNY team. The match begins at 2 p. m. on the man floor in the IAB.

Traditionally a power in fencing circles, CCNY will cause few ripples this year. It has already lost to Yale, 18-9, an indignity the New Yorkers hadn't suffered in 20 years. In its match against the Crimson last year, the Beavers managed to win, 15-12, but a couple of bouts were questionable, and the Harvard squad might have won if the match had not been held in New York.

"I think we will win by at least 17-10, and the score could be higher if I don't make any substitutions," Coach Edo Marion said yesterday.

Strong Saber Squad

The Crimson will start co-captain Larry Cetrulo, Ken Hetzler, and Rick Tolbert at saber. The saber squad-easily one of the strongest in Crimson history-could win as many as seven bouts.

Should Coach Marion decide to substitute in the final round, the Crimson has three other saberman nearly as strong as the top three. "The three men are excellent, and we will not have the problem of weak third men we had last year." Coach Marion said.

The Crimson lost many of its matches last year when it could not get consistent performances from its number three men. Only the Crimson epee squad may have trouble at that position this year. "We really have very strong saber and foil squads," Marion added.

Foilers

Leading the foilers will be All-American senior Tom Keller. Keller performed very well against Southeastern, and the CCNY foilers will not give him much more trouble. Don Vallantyne and Ron Bernstein, both sophomores, displayed considerable poise in their first varsity match last week.

Co-captain Mickey Irvings, Rich Bargar, and Al Shaw will compete at the epee. Geza Tattralay, the number two epee, is still on crutches after severely spraining an ankle in practice.