Hats Cause Problem Swimmers Host Improved Navy

By Bennett H. Beach

Harvard will try for its first win in the Eastern Swimming League in a 3 p. m. meet this afternoon against a Navy team which has vastly improved since last year.

The Crimson routed the Midshipmen, 72-41, last winter, but the victory resulted in good part from intelligent strategy by coach Bill Brooks and a spirited Harvard effort. And Navy has added several outstanding sophomores to its roster this year.

Among the newcomers is Greg Hand, who last year did a 1:44.2 in the 200-free and a 10:24.0 in the 1000-free. In addition, Steve Cheney has returned after missing a season due to injuries suffered in a car accident.

Shallow Hand

Despite gaining these two, Navy will still be at some disadvantage in the freestyles because of Harvard's great depth. Hand, for example, cannot be used in both the 1000 and 200 since they are back-to-back, so the Crimson is in a position to dominate at least one of the two events.

In the sprints, Navy has appreciable depth, and interesting races should develop in the 50-free, 100-free, and the final relay.

The advantage will shift to Navy in the butterfly and the backstroke. Flyer Dave Pearl is outstanding, and the trio of Rick Stringer, Wally Gavett, and Frank Gunkleman gives Navy the best backstroke entry in the East. Dan Kobick should challenge the three, but he is an underdog.

More Points

Harvard's other points will probably come from the breaststrokers, led by sophomore Tim Chetin, and from the divers-Dave Silver, Tom Wallace, and Dick Eisenberg.

On paper, Harvard appears to be the stronger team, but last week the Crimson was clearly superior, but still lost to Army. Harvard's swimmers are not risking overconfidence at all this afternoon.

Navy's appearance in Cambridge last night was preceded by a letter from its athletic association to Floyd Wilson requesting that space be provided for the midshipmen's hats and overcoats during dinner at Kirkland House. Harvard neglected to make such arrangements two years ago, causing unhappiness on the Navy team.