Thinclads Oppose West Point Today

The Harvard track team is an underdog in a meet against Army today at West Point. The Crimson, which has been bothered by injuries, faces its toughest opponent of the year.

The contest between the two teams has been very important in the last two years in determining each team's fate.

The Crimson faces Army coming off a convincing 82-23 victory over B. U. last Wednesday. In the meet, Tom Spengler set a Harvard bubble record of 4:11.00 in the mile, and sophomore Bob Clayton won the 600 with a time of 1:11.8.

Impressive Army

Army was equally impressive in its first try, however. The cadets won a triple meet over Colgate and Lafayette, 81-40-16. Kevin James of Army set a new meet record in the pole vault with a 15-foot leap.

Army coach Carleton Crowell believes that the key to the meet lies in the 1000 and the mile. If Army takes these events, he says it will be close. On the other hand, if Harvard wins, the Crimson should win. He also feels that the meet will be close enough to make the second and third places crucial.

Good Spirits

Team captain Walter Johnson said last night at West Point that the team was in good spirits for the meet.

"We expect a tough meet," he said. "I think I'd like to beat them more than any other team. It's early in the season, though, and it's going to be rough."

Harvard looks very strong in the mile and the 600 with Tom Spengler and Bob Clayton. Spengler's time against B. U. was 8.5 seconds better than Army miler Bob Fee's 4:19.5 in the meet against Colgate and Lafayette. Clayton was a second-and-a-half ahead of his Army counterpart.

Harvard's Joe Naughton, a sophomore, is expected to be very strong in the shot put. But Army is heavily favored in the pole vault.

Among the injured is Harvard middle distance man Dave Elliot.