Crimson Gets Five Spots In Coaches' All-Ivy Vote

By R. W. D.

Five Harvard players-including captain Gary Farneti-were named Saturday to the coaches' All-Ivy football team for 1970.

Farneti, who last week received All-American honorable mention honors from the Associated Press, was chosen for the second consecutive year, while defensive end Chris Doyle, defensive back Brad Fenton, place kicker Richie Szaro and offensive guard Jerry Hevern made the team for the first time.

Debate

Doyle, who at one point debated playing this season, and Szaro moved up to the first unit after making honorable mention in 1969. Fenton and Hevern, the only Crimson junior among the group, are newcomers to the honorary squad.

Szaro this season became the all-time leading Harvard scorer by kicking, and the defensive trio of Doyle, Fenton and Farneti comprised the back bone of the Crimson's rushing defense.

Hevern was the only Harvard offensive player to make the first team, but Pete Varney, an All-Ivy choice for the past two years, and senior tackle Eric Honick made the second team. Junior defensive tackle Mark Steiner also was placed on the second team.

Senior defensive back Rick Frisbie, an All-Ivy selection last year, received honorable mention along with a host of Crimson sophomores.

Surprise, Surprise

Dartmouth and Yale led the first team selections with six players each. Running back Dick Jauron was the only sophomore in the top group. Brown and Penn, which had the slightest first team representation, nabbed the majority of second team and honorable mention berths.