Hockey Team to Face B. C.

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity hockey team will try to extend its undefeated streak to five games when it faces Boston College at 8 p. m. tonight at Watson Rink.

Captain Joe Cavanagh, with two teeth gone and two more still in jeopardy, is planning to dress for this evening's match with the Eagles despite his injury sustained in the Brown game.

Although the injury, a slash in the face that required 15 stitches, does not physically impair Cavanagh's play, the Harvard All-American reported last night that the pain was increasing and bothering him considerably.

Pain

"I have the doctor's permission to play tonight," Cavanagh said, "and they're trying to develop a helmet with a mask that I could wear. But I'm not sure. The pain seems to be getting worse and I haven't been able to eat too much. Right now it looks like I'll dress and maybe just go out on the power plays."

If Cavanagh does not start at center on the senior line. Tom Paul, who took his place in the final two periods of the Brown game, will probably join Dan DeMichele and Steve Owen. Cavanagh practiced with the team yesterday, but coach Cooney Weiland did not have any of the lines practice as units.

Although B. C. is not considered one of the top teams in the East this winter. Cavanagh predicted that the Crimson would be up for tonight's game.

"We'll be ready for B. C., because a lot of the guys on the team remember that we've lost big games to them the past few years," Cavanagh said.

Last winter the Crimson dropped a 6-5 decision to the Eagles at Watson Rink and finished behind them in the final ECAC standings.

This winter B. C. is led by a strong defensive unit centered on captain John Power and junior Tom Mellor, who was voted the most outstanding sophomore player in New England last year.

"Mellor is a real good player," Cavanagh said of his hometown friend. "He's smart, so he knows when he can move up on the attack and when he has to drop back on defense," Mellor had 21 goals at defense last year.

But the Eagles have missed the offensive power of last year's All-American forward Tim Sheehy.