Rent Director Fired

By Joyce Heard

City Manager John H. Corcoran yesterday unexpectedly fired his new appointee Joseph A. Spadafora, the Executive Director of Rent Control.

The City Manager ostensibly fired Spadafora after a source, whom Corcoran refused to identify, gave him a list of several of Spadafora's minor violations of the law.

The violations included speeding, drunkenness, and serving someone underage while bartending. Spadafora made public a complete list of the violations last night "to show the glaring wrongdoing to myself and the rent control program."

"The reason for my termination, I believe, was that I fairly and impartially administered the law, and in the process of so doing refused on numerous occasions to act in a manner that I felt was contrary to the spirit of the law," Spadafora said.

Spadafora said, "I took the job because I though I could administer the law effectively and correctly. In the two weeks that I have been on the job, I think we were just beginning to make some progress."

"Nobody is going to force me to resign because of a list of speeding tickets. Rent Control in Cambridge will never be run fairly and impartially if tactics of this nature are used to coerce people to either resign or be fired," he added.

Spadafora declined to say whether or not he would fight the decision.