Bomb Threats May Shut Down Rutgers Campus

The president of Rutgers University, Mason W. Gross, said yesterday that an increasing number of bomb threats could "bring the university to a stand-still."

Eight more bomb threats were phoned in to the university yesterday, bringing the total number of threats since September to 178.

Unless the problem can be dealt with otherwise, "we must soon arrive at a policy of keeping buildings open in spite of bomb threats," said Gross.

Jameson Dormitory at Douglass College, the women's division of the state university, was cleared following the latest of the calls.

Other calls yesterday involved classroom buildings, a science library, and a biology laboratory. As on previous occasions, no bombs were found.

Two-Hour Search

Each call, however, results in a search of about two hours' duration. The university announced yesterday that it will attempt to use voiceprints to track the source of the calls.

About two-thirds of the threats have involved buildings where examinations are scheduled to be held, according to Howard J. Crosby', dean of students at Rutgers.

In 1969-70, Rutgers officials estimated that there were fewer than 50 bomb threats despite the strike last May and other student disruptions. This year, there has been no student picketing, occupation of buildings, or confrontations on the Rutgers campus.