Congressman-Elect Chairs Campaigning Seminar Here

To Congressman-elect Paul Spyros Sarbanes, a Marylander of Greek descent but no ally of the Vice-President's a respite from seven months of campaigning consists of leading a seminar at the Institute of Politics on spects of campaigns.

"It is important for a lot of students who are interested in politics to know not only how you run a campaign, but how much it takes out of you," said Sarbanes, a director of the Maryland campaigns of Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964 and Robert F. Kennedy in 1968. "I think it's helpful to talk about what lies ahead."

Dukakis Speaks

Michael S. Dukakis, the defeated Democratic candidate for Lientenant-Governor in Massachusetts, is scheduled to discuss campaigning with the group sometime next week. The seminar has also invited an aide to recently-elected Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp to speak in two weeks on politics and the techniques of campaigning.

Sarbanes's experience as a public servant dates back to 1966, when he was elected a representative to Maryland's House of Delegates. There he became known as a leading opponent of the policies of Spiro T. Agnew, then Governor of the state.

Agnew's austerity budgets were the source of much Sarbanes's opposition. Sarbanes attacked them for "cuts in education and health funds"-a position Agnew labeled "Sarbanality." Sarbanes replied that the Governor's budgets exemplified "Agnosticism."

The Institute of Politics approached Sarbanes last spring with the offer of a Visiting Fellowship in the fall. Because the new session of Congress convenes in January, however, Sarbanes will have to cut his term short: he is planning to leave before Christmas.

But the respite is apparently appreciated. "I'm enjoying my stay here," Sarbanes said yesterday. "It is a chance to get away and do a little reading and thinking."