CHUL Asks Wiggins To Buy Union Lettuce

The Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life voted Wednesday to recommend that Harvard purchase only United Farmworkers lettuce.

"We are sympathetic to the state of the migrant workers and to the perfectly natural and proper desire of the many members of this community to support measures to improve their conditions," a CHUL statement-released yesterday-said.

The Committee directed its recommendations to L. Gard Wiggins, administrative vice president of Harvard. Though Wiggins could not be reached for comment last night, he said last month at a meeting between studentsand purchasers that the Administration would seriously consider a CHUL resolution on lettuce.

The Ad Hoe Committee on Lettuce, which presented arguments before the CHUL, Wednesday night, claimed yesterday that the resolution in their favor indicated a victory for their efforts to remove non-UFW lettuce from Harvard.

"We were pleasantly surprised." said David P. Levin '71, a member of the Ad Hoc Committee, "Participation in the boycott will be a significant contribution from Harvard.

"The Ad Committee will work now to spread the boycott to the Greater Boston Area and to fight the injunction the growers obtained in California," he added.

Hearings on the injunction against UFW strike and boycott activities begin in Salinas, Calif., today. Bud Antle, a grower contracting with the Teamsters, and Dow Chemical Corporation jointly brought the injunction against Chavez. Dow owns 17,000 acres of Antle's land.

The Dorchester chapter of the United Farmworkers has organized a march from Newton to Dow Chemical's office in Chestnut Hill at 3:30 p. m. tomorrow to protest the injunction.