Committee Seeks Football Coach

By Robert Decherd

The selection process for the next Harvard football coach is entering its final stages, and a final decision may be made before the end of the year.

A seven-man committee consisting of Robert B. Watson '37, Adolph W. Samborski '25, Eric Cutler '40, John P. Reardon '60, Baaron B. Pittenger, Vic Gatto '68, and Gary Farneti '70 has been meeting with increasing regularity throughout the fall, and has recently begun interviewing a relatively final list of prospects.

Pittenger, who retired as director of sports information last year, said last night that although applications for the coaching job are not yet closed. the committee has virtually completed its own search.

About 15 candidates will be interviewed by the committee because, as Pittenger put it, "you can't weigh a person by mail," Before beginning serious deliberations, the committee sought advice from several nationally known coaches, including Joe Paterno of Penn State, Frank Broyles of Arkansas, Davy Nelson of Delaware, and Paul Brown of the Cincinnati Bengals.

According to Pittenger, the committee is looking for a man who "has a grasp of what kind of institution Harvard is, and what the philosophy about football is here. We're looking for someone who understands and appreciates it."

No Ivy League head coaches are under consideration for the job, but Crimson defensive coach Ralph Jelic is. A petition in support of Jelic has reportedly been circulating among members of this year's team, but the committee has seen no such petition.

Reservoir

"But there is no question there is a reservoir of support for Jelic among the players." Pittenger said.

While the committee is ideally aiming at January 1 as the date for a final choice, it is a flexible deadline. "While we don't want to go into February," Pittenger said, "January 1 is not an absolute date."