Cagers Stop Indian Rally; Racquetmen Win.

Squash Team Beats Cadets

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity squash team opened its season Saturday with a surprisingly easy 9-0 victory over Army at Hemenway Gym. The Crimson, which won all 27 games against the Cadets, will meet M.I.T. at 7 p.m. this evening on the Engineers' courts.

Army was hard hit by graduation last spring, losing not only the nucleus of its squad but also its only experienced coach. The Cadets showed a great desire to win but were without the skills to cope with a young but talented Crimson squad.

"I was pleased with the hustle throughout the team," Harvard coach Jack Barnaby said, "especially at the bottom of the ladder. The team was never under any tremendous pressure, but they showed good conditioning and determination."

Jaime Gonzalez finished his match first with a 15-5, 15-4, 15-9 victory at number four. Alan Quasha, Reggie Foster, and Andy Wiegand were never pressed in any game farther down the ladder.

Sophomore Pete Briggs, starting his first varsity match at number two, was temporarily stunned by a four-wall serve from his opponent in the first game. "Wow!" yelled Briggs, but he wasn't surprised the next time it came and he displayed a fine array of shots to win easily, 16-13, 15-7, 15-4.

The Crimson is without a big-name number one man this winter, but junior Dave Fish indicated that he may surprise many opponents this year as he crushed Army's John Stevenson, 15-10, 15-6, 15-8.

Ed Atwood. Dan Gordon, and Lowell Pratt each swept in three games to complete the rout.

The Crimson should be heavily favored to defeat M.I.T. this evening. The Engineers lost to Army on Friday, 6-3. The only change in the Crimson ladder is that number ten Neil Vosters, who also won 3-0 Saturday, will move into the varsity ladder to replace Reggie Foster, who cannot make the trip.