Harriers Choose Koerner Captain

By Bennett H. Beach

Mike Koerner, who missed almost the entire season because of a foot injury, has been elected captain of next year's cross country team.

The announcement was made at last night's cross country dinner at the Faculty Club. Later in the evening, Tom Spengler was presented the J.D. French Memorial Award. It recognizes "outstanding improvement and/or significant contribution to the team."

Unable to Compete

Koerner was a consistently high finisher his sophomore year and led the Crimson in preseason camp this fall. But soon his right foot began to hurt, and after the first meet he was unable to compete with success and finally stopped entering.

His election, though it came on the first ballot, was a small surprise to some, who thought that Bob Seals, the other junior on the team, would be chosen. Spengler, like Koerner, had been elected despite missing much of his junior season with an injury.

Extra Praise

Koerner earned extra praise from manager Ed Lincoln, who complimented Koerner for sharing his (Lincoln's) interest in 1928 passenger trains.

It was no surprise that Spengler won the French Award. He was the top Harvard finisher in every meet and has been credited with keeping the team morale high despite the rash of injuries this fall.