Harvard Cagers Play B.C. For Beanpot Championship

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The Boston College basketball team has been getting ready for tonight's Beanpot Championship for over a month.

Looking past games with Northeastern and Fairfield, which they won by four-point and three-point margins, the Eagles have scouted Harvard intently. The entire starting line-up has seen the Crimson play on four occasions -two pre-season scrimmages and two games.

Harvard, on the other hand. was preparing for Dartmouth during the first weeks of practice. That was evident in Saturday's 89-78 triumph over the Big Green. But whether or not the Crimson can muster the same determination in tonight's 8:30 p.m. contest in the Boston Garden could be the deciding factor.

"There's no doubt that B.C. is going to be fired up," head coach Bob Harrison said Monday. "The whole team has scouted us pretty thoroughly. so they know what our individuals can do. But we've also been keeping a few things secret because we know they've been watching." he continued.

Throttle O'Brien

Even if Harrison and his team can surprise the Eagles with some new plays, Harvard will still have to stop Jimmy O'Brien, the B.C. captain and floor-leader. O'Brien is a key factor in the Eagle's quick, well-disciplined offense, and Crimson captain Dale Dover will have to throttle him.

Harvard has a height advantage on the boards with 6-7 Floyd Lewis, 6-9 Tom Mustoe, and 6-6 Hal Calbom in the front-court, but B.C. plays a more experienced front line that could neutralize the Crimson's edge in height.

Harvard has out-rebounded its two previous opponents decisively, but at times slacks up and does not crash the boards. That is how Northeastern stayed in the game against the Eagles last Tuesday, and if the Crimson does it tonight, it could blow B.C. right out of the Garden.