First Place in League Is at Stake In Harvard-Dartmouth Swim Meet

By Bennett H. Beach

Victories on consecutive days over Penn and Princeton moved Dartmouth's undefeated swimming team ahead of Harvard into first place in the Eastern League last weekend, but the Crimson has a chance to regain the top spot in a meet against the Indians at Hanover Saturday.

Harvard and Yale are both in second place with 4-0 records. The Elis. 58-55 victors over Stanford last. Saturday, should be able to win the league title yet another time, but there is considerable prestige attached to finishing second behind them.

Added Incentives

Dartmouth has two added incentives-impressing the Winter Carnival crowd and avenging last year's upset loss to the Crimson in Cambridge. The Indians' only other loss was to Yale.

Both teams are better this winter, but Harvard's improvement is probably more appreciable. Nevertheless, Crimson coach Bill Brooks has said that Dartmouth is the favorite. "I expect a very close meet, but we'll need a break or two to pull through," he said.

Dartmouth, however, barely escaped losing last weekend, winning its meet with Princeton by only one point. Inaccurate scoring, discovered too late to be changed, gave the Indians' Mike Brown a victory in the one-meter dive, though the actual winner was Princeton's John Huff stutler.

But had the officials properly scored the diving. Dartmouth probably would still have won the meet since coach Karl. Michael could have used a strong team to win the final relay if he had to.

Princeton had been undefeated, so it was an especially important w???, and many of the Dartmouth times were quite good. "On Saturday our swimmers became a team." Michael said enthusiastic?lly, if somewhat tritely.

While the Big Green has had a heavy schedule for the last two months. Harvard has enjoyed a relatively ???ful streak. The Crimson hasn't had a meet for two weeks, and the last tough one was in December.