Law Professors Move to Prevent Appointment of Carswell to Court

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Opponents of Judge G. Harrold Carswell-whose nomination to the Supreme Court was approved Monday by the Senate Judiciary Committee-are planning to contest his confirmation because of his alleged lack of legal "distinction."

The Senate committee approval President Nixon's second nominee for the court by a 13-4 margin. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy 154 (D-Mass.) joined three other Democrats in voting against Carswell.

Several law professors have joined civil rights groups in oposing Carswell's nomination.

Derek C. Bok. dean of the Law School wrote to the committee last week that Carswell showed "a level of competence well below the high standards that one would presumably consider appropriate and necessary on the court."

In his testimony before the committee last week. Louis H. Pollak, dean of the Yale Law School, said the candidate appeared to possess "more slender credentials than any nominee in this century."

Deans of several law schools in Pennsylvania and Michigan are expected to meet with Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R-Penn.) and Minority Whip Robert P. Griffin (R-Mich.) to try to change their minds. Scott and Griflin both voted with the majority on the committee yesterday.

Suporters of Carswell claim he should not be judged on a standard higher than that applied to nominees in the past.