Masters to Make Final Decision On Allowing Girls in Intramurals

By Bennett H. Beach

A vote of the House Masters will determine whether or not girls living in Adams, Winthrop, and Lowell will be permitted to participate in intramural athletics.

The ?? secretaries are all in favor of permitting females to compete in sports where it is feasible-volleyball, swimming, tennis, track, and possibly a few others, but Floyd Wilson, director of ?? athletics, is somewhat hesitant.

Dan Levin, athletic secretary of Adams, first raised the issue at a regularly scheduled meeting of the secretaries nine days ago. Wilson said he would investigate the situation and asked the athletic secretaries to think about it.

Wilson also asked them to discuss it with the Masters, because they have the final say on major policy decisions.

"There's no reason why they [the Masters] should be against it." Levin said yesterday. "The advantages are obvious. You'd get some guys out who wouldn't normally participate." he said.

Some secretaries thought that Eliot House might be opposed, but Bob Matison, the athletic secretary there, said he had no objections.

According to Levin, Wilson is planning to consult the University Health Services to see which sports they think it is safe for girls to compete in. He is also going to talk to officials at Yale to see how they are handling the situation.

"Floyd is afraid that the girls will take some of the competitive spirit out of it and make it more of a joke," Levin said. "But he's being open-minded about it and wouldn't buck if we were solidly for it," he added.

Quincy's athletic secretary, Rick Barton, said, "Floyd won't admit being against it. but everything he says is against it."

Wilson has asked that girls be held out until the Masters make a decision.