Yard Squads Roll to Wins Monday Eve

With Connecticut University stalling for most of the second half, the freshman eagers had little difficulty protecting an 83-53 halftime lead. The Yardlings eventually romped home with a 132-82 victory Monday night at the I. A. B.

Harvard built its early lead on strong rebounding and great shooting. The Crimson outrebounded UConn 29-11 in the first half and converted 70 per cent of its shots in the same period. Forward James Brown paced the Crimson in the first half by making eight out of ten shots from the field. He finished with 23 points. In all, six Harvard eagers scored in double figures.

To keep the score down. Connecticut coach Fred Barakat ordered his players to hold the ball in the second half. However, the Yardlings repeatedly forced Husky turnovers, and finally Connecticut abandoned its cautious play and started to run with Harvard. The Crimson then resumed building a huge total at a rapid rate for the rest of the game.

Meanwhile, another freshman power, the Yardling hockey team, continued to romp unmolested through its competition. Monday at Amherst, the Crimson dumped UMass, 6-2, in an unusually short 45-minute contest, to chalk up its 11th consecutive victory, and its 13th in 14 games.

First-line forward Dave Hynes, whose scoring pace this winter has been running ahead of Joe Cavanagh's during the latter's freshman season, scored a pair of goals, including the first and last, and teammate Bill Corkery added two more to pace Harvard's effort.

After Hynes and Harry Reynolds had put the Yardlings ahead, 2-0, in the opening period, some sloppy defensive work allowed the Redmen to tie the contest before the session ended. But center Bob McManama notched another early in the second period, Corkery tallied his pair and Hynes his second to send the Crimson home free, before the third period.