Wins in Boston and in New York Highlight Track Team's Weekend

By Bennett H. Beach

Harvard runners won a relay in Friday night's Millrose Games in New York and returned to Boston for tow more wins in the B. A. A. meet Saturday to complete a rather successful weekend.

A strong finish by captain Keith Colburn in Friday's Mike Devaney 1000-yard run enabled him to break his Harvard record and equal the former American indoor mark while taking second place with 2:07.9.

Colburn went out second behind Tom Von Ruden, the eventual winner and record-breaker, but both men were passed with three laps to go by Mark Winzenreid of Wisconsin. Von Ruden took the lead again two laps later, and then Colburn went past Winzenreid at the last turn to edge him by a few feet. Colburn's old record was 2:08.6.

He also anchored Harvard's winning two-mile relay team. "The relay was more exciting than the 1000," Colburn said After the first three legs-run by John Gillis, Tom Downer, and Roy Shaw-the Crimson trailed Fordham by five yards.

Colburn's task was to catch freshman Marcel Phillipe, who was the fastest high school half-miler in the country last year. He had decided to attend Fordham despite being accepted at Harvard.

Colburn moved up quickly, but was unsuccessful on three attempts to pass Phillipe. On the last straightaway, he tried once more and out leaned the Fordham star by six inches at the tape. The time was 7:36.2.

On Saturday, freshman Dave Elliot. whom coach Pappy Hunt has tagged as the next Keith Colburn, was one of the winners, taking an easy first in the Bingham 880. His 1:53.6 was only one-tenth of a second off the Bingham record.

John Gillis beat all the competition for the second year in a row in the Intercollegiate 440 for the other Crimson victory Gillis took an early lead and stretched it to about five yards for his 50.3 clack-ing, a slight improvement over last year.

Harvard was not so fortunate in the mile relay. A mix-up in a baton pass between Gillis and Downer caused Gillis to fall and drop the baton and then get spiked. Harvard had been leading but ended up last.

Colburn also finished last in his rematch Saturday with Czechoslovakia's Josef Plachy in the 1000. Plachy had come from behind to beat him two weeks ago in the Knights of Columbus Meet, but Saturday, Colburn was simply too tired to get revenge. "It was really weird not being able to move," he said last night.