Penn and Dartmouth Start to Fall As Bruins Climb in Hockey Race

By John L. Powers

Pennsylyania's upstart hockey team, which had climbed as high as third place in the standings with three consecutive league victories, experienced the basic realities of competition last week and the ensuing two losses put the Quakers bark into fifth place.

Brown was the first to rout Penn, downing the Red and Blue. 6-9 at Philadelphia last Saturday, and Cornell, clearly on the way to another Ivy title, tore the Quakers apart two nights ago. 11-1.

Meanwhile, another self-proclaimed contender. Dartmouth, quietly withdrew its bid for runnerup honors with losses to (5-4) that dropped the Indians into fourth place. And the Green has yet to play Cornell.

So with only two-and-a-half weeks remaining in the Ivy race, the standings have taken on a familiar shape: Cornell on top with Harvard and Brown battling for second. But unless the Bruins lose another league contest-and this is unlikely since they have already endured both scheduled games with-Gornell-Harvard must defeat the Big Red next Wednesday at Ithaca to capture second place at the season's end.

Brown's triumphs over Dartmouth and Penn. as well as a 7-1 win over Princeton two nights ago. vaulted the Bruins all alone into second place this week with a 5-3-1 Ivy record. Only Yale, Penn, and Dartmouth, all of whom the Bruins have clobbered this winter, remain on their schedule.

Meanwhile. Harvard continued its rise from its position in sixth place at the beginning of February with a Winter Carnival victory at Dartmouth last weekend. A triumph over Penn in a revenge match at Cambridge on Saturday, coupled with a Dartinouth loss at Cornell this weekend would give the Crimson sole possession of third place.

Yale beginning a slow, painful journey back to hockey respectability, crushed Princeton. 9-3. at New Haven last Saturday. and the Elis' victory over Dartmouth last Wednesday advanced them into a fifth-place tie with Penn. Princeton, staggering badly, is still last with a 0-6-1 record, and ends the season with contests against Harvard and Cornell.

In the race for individual scoring honors, Penn's powerful first line of Gellard, Davis, and Cutter-affectionately called the "Sam. Tom and Timmy Line." by Quaker coach Jim Salfi-still occupies three of the top five positions. Harvard's Steve Owen is the only Crimson player in the top ten.