Track Team Favored Again Today In Big Three Meet at New Haven

Dickie Lee made his way into the pages of philosophy a few years ago when he said. "Strange things happen in this world." Harvard coach Bill McCurdy had to agree with him after his indoor track team lost the Big Three title last winter for the first time in eight years.

Yale won the championship with an outstanding effort and with the additional help of everyone's inability to make a ruling on the results of the weight throw. Princeton's Tim McCann had signed a contract with a professional team and was therefore ineligible. He came in third, so when the problem was discovered, the spot was vacated. Had Harvard's Dave Bernstein, who was fourth moved up, the Crimson would have won.

Added Incentive

That turn of events gives Harvard an added incentive today when Yale hosts the Big Three Meet in Coxe Gage, but it is incentive which is probably unnecessary.

Both Yale and Princeton are extremely talented in a few events, but Harvard has the depth, as well as the strong points, to more than compensate for its opponents occasional brilliance.

In all races 110 yards or longer, in the relays, and in a couple of field events. Harvard is a distince favorite. Captain Keith Colburn. Dave Pottend. Roy Shaw Mike Koerner. John Gillis, and Tom Downer should easily handle most of the track ?? and the Crimson weight men and long jumpers also have an edge.

Princeton, which has only lost one meet and should finish second today should get runner-up slots behind the Harvard runners, and can also count on excellent performances in the high jump and the pole vault.

Yale's concentration of talent is in the dashes and the high hurdles. Don Martin has done 6.2 seconds twice in the 60-yard dash, and hurdler Kwaku Ohene-Frem pong should battle for first with the Tigers Bill Founcher.

The field event points may be split fairly even today, but Harvard has such an overwhelming advantage in the track competition that it will be a terribly tough task for Princeton or Yale to take the title.

McCurdy will complete his ninth undefeated dual meet season at Harvard if his team wins today. Yale, meanwhile, is hoping for second place so that coach Bob Giegengach will not have his first losing season in 24 years there. B.H.B.