B.U. Will Strike Beginning Today

By Robert Decherd

B.U. students go on strike today and tomorrow over issues stemming from a Dec. 8 sit-in protesting on-campus recruitment by General Electric during the G.E. workers' strike.

B.U. Student Union President Richard Lubin said that he thinks that the strike will virtually shut down the university's normal daily operation and will keep most of the school's 22,000 students home.

Non-obstructive picket lines will be set up from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Commonwealth Avenue in front of the different B.U. schools.

Several Organizers

The strike is being organized by the B.U. Student Union, and is supported by SDS and the Student Mobilization Committee (SMC).

Lubin said yesterday that the strike "will show that we can mobilize, that we can organize an effective strike, and that we can exert pressure on the administration if we want to."

The three demands of the strike are:

bring an end to the court injunctionagainst disruptive student demonstrations at B.U.;

grant amnesty to all students and faculty involved in the Dec. 8 sit-in at the B.U. administration building;

grant tenure to government professor Edgar Botlome.

Several students and two B.U. professors are being prosecuted by the University for their role in the Dec. 8 sit-in.

Lubin said he views the strike as the first step towards a new judicial system at B.U. recognition of student prerogative, and the reorganization of the Office of Student Affairs (OSA).

Maybe Something

He speculated that few concessions would be granted as a direct result of the strike, but that Bottome might be granted tenure.

B.U. goes on vacation Friday, so no immediate results will be visible from the strike. If the strike is ignored by the B.U. administration. Lubin said that more action will be organized soon after the tenday spring break.

"We can keep the school closed until the end of year if we have to. or until we get some results." he said.