Colburn Leads Thinclads To Win Over Elis, Tigers

In a meet marked by few surprises and no record-breaking performances, Harvard's track team collected first places in six of 13 events to sweep to victory in the Big Three meet Saturday at Yale's Coxe Cage.

Harvard finished with 58 points, Princeton netted 41, and Yale trailed with 38.

Captain Keith Colburn sparked the Crimson to its victory with come frombehind wins in the 600 and 1000-yd. runs and with a win-clinching 1:50.8 anchor leg in the two-mile relay, despite his trouble in adjusting to the hard dirt track.

In the 600. Colburn got off to a very poor start, then came from behind with three-fourths of a lap to go, and outleaned teammate Tom Downer-who finished second-and Princeton's Fred Schnure at the tape. All three registered 1:12.2 clockings. Colburn's win built the Crimson's lead to 16.

After getting off to another slow start in the 1000. Colburn began to pull away from the field at the halfway point and won handily in 2:11.4.

In the two-mile, Harvard's Dave Pottetti sprinted into the lead a little before the mile mark and then breezed to a victory in 8:56.6. more than eight seconds ahead of second-place finisher Mike Koerner. Pottetti's time was .1 seconds faster than his previous personal record.

Surprise Win

In one of the meet's few surprises, three Harvard runners-Royee Shaw Tom Spengler, and John Heyburn-crossed the finish line ahead of the Tigers' Eamon Downey, who had run a mile under 4:10 earlier this year. Shaw, however, was disqualified for pushing, and Spengler was awarded first place.

Ed Nosal was Harvard's only field event winner. with a best throw of 61' 101/2" in the 35-15. weight competition. Walter Johnson picked up four more field event points for the Crimson, placing second in the 60-yd, high hurdles and fourth in the long jump.

The win enabled coach Bill McCurdy to complete his ninth undefeated dual meet season at Harvard.