Crimson Wrestlers Draw Spades As Ivy League Title Hopes Fade

By Robert Decherd

The Harvard wrestling team drew a spade Saturday afternoon in Princeton, N. J., as its bid for a share of the Ivy League lead was squelched by the undefeated and untied Princeton Tigers, 25-8.

The Crimson madmen fought all the way, but were simply outmanned by the formidable Princetonians. "The better team won the match," Harvard coach John Lee said. "They'll definitely win the Ivy League," he added.

Harvard could garner only two victories and one tie in ten bouts. Tom Schnorr, the Crimson's 118-pounder, snapped an eight-bout losing streak to give the Crimson an early, and unexpected, boost.

Junior Mark Faller collected his 13th win of the season against a single tie as he crushed Mike Maybeck, 12-2. in his 167-pound bout. Pat Coleman, returning from a nose injury at 142. deadlocked the Tigers' Randy Meadows, 5-5.

Heavy Sweep

Princeton wrapped up its third straight Ivy win with a sweep in the heavyweights. Leading 16-8 after the 167-pound bout, the Tigers waltzed away with victories at 177, 190, and unlimited.

Harvard received a setback early in one match when captain Paul Catinella dropped a questionable 2-1 decision at 134 to AI Ullyeda, runner-up in last year's Easterns.

Making his first start at 134 after compiling a 7-3-1 record at 142, Catinella was tied with Ullyeda when he was called for stalling with ten seconds left in the bout. The one-point penalization gave Ullyeda the bout and Princeton an 8-3 lead.

A Pathetic Switch

A crucial confrontation at 167 was averted when Princeton coach John Johnston moved his captain. Tom Potts. down to 158 to wrestle Mike Slutzker. Potts won going away, 13-2.

Dave Scanlon and Jim Abbott lost tough matches at 190 and unlimited as the Crimson tried gamely to close the Tigers' 19-8 bulge.

Scanlon was nudged by Emil Delire-described by Lee as "one hell of a moose. a rugged guy"-in a repeat of their semifinal bout in the freshman Eastern tournament last year, 10-6.

The unlimited bout was knotted at 1-1 when Chuck Dresell was awarded one point for riding time to go ahead, 2-1. Abbott, needing a takedown to regain the lead, pushed too hard and was taken down himself to drop a 4-1 decision.