Sports '73 Thinclads and Stickmen Triumph In Important Weekend Contests Hockey

In its best all around effort of the year, the freshman hockey team raced to a gratifying 6-0 lead in the second period and coasted to a 10-2 victory Saturday over Boston College at Watson Rink.

Stiff defensive hockey and a potem offensive barrage lifted the Yardlings to a 15-1 record and their 13th consecutive victory. Their only less came at the hands of the B.U. freshmen.

One of the Old Tricks

David Hynes quickly demoralizing the hard-hitting B.C. defense, turned the hat trick in the first period on a breakaway and on passes from linemate Bob Me-Manama and defe??? Dong Elliot. who finished with six assists.

Styve Harris scored twice in the first three minutes of the second peiod, and Jim Riley bango ?? Keyin Hampe rebomad to pat the scove at 6-0.

Hynes netted his fourth goal moments into the third period for his 37th goal and 59th point of the season. Phil Shea's slapshot and Jim Thomson's floater gave the Crimson an ?? lead.

B.C. Lucks Out

B.C. taking advantage of ?? defensive last slipped in two third period goals, but with less than a minute left. MeMonama made the final second 10-2.

Hustraing the offensive disparity in the contest P?? Conceison the B.C. goalie. made 43 saves compared to only 25 for the two Harvard goalies. Joe Bertagna and Brian Everist.

The Harvard defensemen allowed the Eaglets few goal shots and Bertagna faced every threat with aplamn, stuffing several breakaways.

With three contests remaining. the Yardlings play Boston State on Saturday at Watson Rink.

Track

Breaking six Harvard freshman records and tying another, the Yardling thinclads grabbed firsts in each of the 13 events Friday to overwbelin Princeton and Yale in the freshman Big Three Meet at Yale.

Harvard finished with 97 points. Princeton picked up 271/2 and Yale netted 121/2

Captain Dave Elliott provided one of the meet's many highlights when he won the 1000 with a 2:09.2 clocking-only 3.7 seconds off the world record. His performance set Harvard freshman. meet. and Coxe Cage records. This is the first time that a freshman has ever held a Coxe Cage mark.

Less than 30 minutes after winning the 1000, Elliott anchored the two-mile relay team to victory making up a 40-yard deficit and completing his leg in a fast 4:53.0. His effort helped the relay team to its 8:01.4 clocking, another new freshman record.

The team's performance even exceeded the hopes of coach Pappy Hunt. who wandered around Coxe Cage mutiering. "All right good. all right" to who meyer was near"

Bobby ?? sprinted to victory in the 600 with a time of 1:12.4 to set yet another Harvard freshman record. His time was only 0.2 seconds slower than Keith ???n's in the varsity 600 Saturday.

The three other records were set by Steve Skane 14'6" in the pole vaulto. Joe Naughton 53'4" in the shot ?? and the team of John Phillips. Tim D'Acci Rick Melyain, and Bob Clayton 3:23.2 in the ?? replay. Bayiec Reid a dougtn starter because of a pulled hamstring, tied the 60-yarl dash much of ?? seconds.