Faculty Council Selects Committee Members, Chooses Firth to Replace Stuart on Council

By Garrett Epps

The Faculty Council, following the recommendations of the Fainsod Report, has selected Faculty members for the Faculty Docket Committee, the Committee on Undergraduate Education, the Committee on Graduate Education, the Committee on Students and Community Relations, and the Committee on Plans and Resources.

The Council also elected Roderick Firth, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity, to serve on the Council for this semester as a replacement for Zeph Stuart, professor of Greck and Latin, who is on sabbatical.

In addition, the Council selected by lot the members who will serve staggered terms-some of which expire this June, with the others expiring in 1971 and 1972.

The Council elected the members' of the Docket Committee-which will establish rules of procedures for Faculty-meetings.

The members are: John T. Dunlop, acting dean of the Faculty, chairman; Alan E. Heimert '49, Powell M. Cabot Professor of American Litcrature and Master of Eliot House, vice-chairman; Andrew M. Gleason, Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy: and Henry Rosovsky, professor of Economies.

Members of the other committees were appointed by Dunlop-who is chairman of the Council-after Council members indicated their preferences.

Names

Members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education are: Dean May, chairman; Rogers G. Albritton, professor of Philosophy; H. Stuart Hughes, Gurney Professor of History and Political Sciences; Janet M. Martin, instructor in Classics; George Wald. Higgins Professor of Biology; and John Womack Jr. '59, assistant professor of History.

Members of the Committee on Graduate Education are: J. Petersen Elder, dean of GSAS, chairman; Herbert Bloch, professor of Greek and Latin; Ronald V. Book, assistant professor of ComputerScience: Firth: Roger Rosenblatt, assistant professor of English: and James Q. Wilson, professor of Government.

Members of the Committee on Students and Community Relations, including six Faculty members who are not on the Council. are: Dunlop, chairman; Mark Ptashne, lecturer on Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Edwin O. Reischaner, University Professor; (members not on the Council) Edward L. Keenan '57, lecturer on History: Edward C. Banfield, Henry Lee Shattuck Professor of Urban Government: Lee Rainwater, professor of Sociology; Doris H. Kearns, assistant professor of Government; Myron B. Fiering '55. Gordon McKay Professor of Engineering and Applied Mathematics; and Paul M. Doty, Mallinckrodt Professor of Biochemistry.

More Names

Nicholaos Bloembergen. Gordon McKay Professor of Applied Physics, and Gerald Holton, professor of Physics. are the only two members of the Committee on Plans and Resources, but other members of the Council will be named to the Committee soon.

Student members will serve on the Committees on Undergraduate and Graduate Education and the Committee on Students and Community Relations. Elections for student members will be held in the next few weeks.

The Committee on Undergraduate Education replaces the Committee on Educational Policy. It will deal with educational and curriculum policy for the College. The Committee on Graduate Education will do the same for the GSAS. The Committee on Student and Community Relations replaces the Student-Faculty Advisory Council.