Radcliffe to Have Resident Tutors Living in Some Dorms Next Year

Radcliffe is presently recruiting resident tutors to live in the new Currier House and possibly in other brick dorms next year.

Fourteen tutors will live in special suites in Currier House. They will include three married couples and eight single tutors.

Radcliffe is also reserving rooms in the brick dorms for 14 additional single tutors. Each of these tutors will be given two adjacent rooms.

Radcliffe will not have the money to remodel these rooms into suites with private bathrooms, according to Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe. These conditions may make it difficult to recruit tutors for the brick dorms, Mrs. Bunting said.

The selection of tutors is being made by the Masters of the Radcliffe Houses. John H. Parry. Master of North House, said that he would not choose tutors to create a special character or interest in the House. "We want to have a reasonable spread," he said.

Jerome S. Bruner, Master of Currier House, has already selected the three married couples who will be tutors in the new House when it opens next Fall. He is now interviewing applicants for the other eight tutor positions.

Dynamic Duos

Susan B. Carey, a graduate student in Psychology, is helping Bruner with the selection. Miss Carey said that the three married couples were chosen so that both the husband and the wife would be tutors.

Their fields include Psychology, Philosophy, Education, and History and Literature. One of the six works outside the University. Miss Carey said that Bruner is interested in getting non-academic people into the House.

Miss Carey, who will be married thissummer, will be a tutor in Currier with her husband. She described herself and her fellow tutors as having had experience with Harvard and Radcliffe housing and being "dissatisfied with what it is now."

First and Only

Mrs. Bunting began a program to build a House system at Radcliffe in 1961. However, only next year when "Currier relieves our overcrowding" will Radcliffe have enough space for resident tutors, she said. Radcliffe's first-and this year only-resident tutor moved into Mabel Daniels this Fall.