Slopemen to Try To Avenge Loss At Last Carnival

The Harvard skiers, stung by a costly St. Lawrence rally at the Easterns (EISA) last weekend, will try to take revenge on the Larries and the other top EISA finishers today and tomorrow when they compete at Middlebury, the last stop on the carnival tour.

The team's lack of depth, however, will probably prevent Harvard from capturing any better than fourth at the carnival. While it is conceivable that the skiers could put together an effort that would outdo St. Lawrence and Vermont (fourth at the EISA's), the overall strength of Dartmouth, Middlebury, and New Hampshire should once again prove too much for Harvard.

Weakened Line-Up

While most teams will bring ten men to Middlebury, only eight Cantabs will ski. The Crimson line-up has been severely weakened by injury and by quitting. Jay O'Rear, one of Harvard's best slalom men, broke his back earlier in the season. Since then, the number-two jumper has left school, and the number-three jumper has quit the team to spend more time studying.

By overtaking the Crimson ski team in the jumping competition last weekend, the Larries pushed Harvard into sixth place and prevented it from participating in the NCAA's as a team. Only the top five EISA finishers earned team berths in the nationals to be held next weekend at Franconia, N. H.

The four Harvard Skiers-Chris Ferner, Steve Hinkle, Larry Carter, and John Boyle-who received invitations to the NCAA's will use the carnival to prepare for the nationals next weekend.