Anti-War Activists Meet at MIT; Spring Offensive to Be Discussed

Over 1000 anti-war activists are expected to attend the two-day New England Anti-War Conference which will begin at M. I. T.'s Kresge Auditorium this morning.

The conference was called by a broad coalition of anti-war groups to plan action for a regional spring offensive, as part of a national program planned at the Student Mobilization Committee Conference in Cleveland, February 14.

Cambridge City Councilwoman Barbara Ackermann will be chairman of the conference's first session, scheduled to begin at 10 a. m. today. Jerry Gordon, a former co-chairman of the New Mobilization Committee and now co-chairman of the Cleveland Area Peace Action Council, will deliver the keynote address.

Organized Conference

The conference was organized by a planning committee that consisted of representatives from a large number of New England anti-war groups, including the Student Mobilization Committee, the Young Socialist Alliance. Citizens for Participation Politics, and the American Friends Service Committee.

The conference organizers are hopeful that the bitter split that took place between opposing groups at the Cleveland conference will not be repeated this weekend. "It's unlikely that total unity will emerge," one organizer said, "but a substantial number of groups will agree."

By last night more than 15 resolutions had been submitted by individuals and organizations to the conference's agenda committee for consideration.

Workshop Series

A series of workshops will be held tonight on a wide range of subjects, including the draft, tax resistance, and black liberation. The Sunday morning session will be held in the Student Center's Sala de Puerto Rico and will begin at 10 a. m. After a 2 p. m. afternoon session, the conference will adjourn.