Radcliffe??an ??lomon Named As Assi?? D??n of Harvard

By ??ol R. ??rnhell

Banbara M. Solo?? ??an of Radcliffe's East H?? been named assistant dean ?? College. She is the first ?? to hold that position.

Mrs. Solomon will ?? assistant dean Archie C. Epps in h??ding "matters affecting the educational programs of undergraduate? ?? May announced yesterday. ?? May is now assembling sugg? ?? of students and Faculty me?? for curricular change.

Carolyn C. Hunt '63, ?? student in English and ?? residen? ?tutor for Winthrop Ho?? will suc?ceed Mrs. Solomon as ?? East House, Mary I Bunting ?? ?dent o? Radcliffe, said last night ?? change will take effect Feb. 15, ??

Dean May stressed th?? ?poin ?ment of Mrs. Solomon ?? mad? in anticipation of a pr?? merg? between Harvard and R?? "Mr? Solomon is not in any ?? to be dean of women," he s?? She is talented scholar and ?? ?rate ?? I would want her help even if ?erger were out of the question."

"Merger never came up," Mrs. Solomon said yesterday. "I was asked by Dean May to join his staff, and I look ?orward to being useful."

Mrs. Solomon has been associate dean of Radcliffe and dean of East House since 1963, and a lecturer in History and Literature since 1965. She is currently a member of the Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women.

Mrs. Solomon declined to predict the effect of menger on the status of women at Harvard. "We are talking about historical problems," she said. "Change doesn't come overnight-it's an evolution. I knew Radcliffe before we had joint instruction."

Mrs. Hunt, the new dean of East House, has been a teaching fellow in English 10, and has taught English at Clark University. While at Radcliffe she twice won the Susan Anthony Potter Prize in comparative literature.