Nosal First in GBC Weight Toss; Hevern Places Fourth in Shot Put

Junior Ed Nosal threw the 35-pound weight 59'2 1/4" on hisfifth toss last night to overtake Boston College's Harold Krause and give Harvard an early lead in the Greater Boston Collegiate Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships last night.

The 35-pound weight event was the opening varsity final of the two days of competition at Harvard's Farrell Track and Briggs Cage, Starting this afternoon at 1 p.m. the freshman and varsity finals will be held along with the varsity events.

Only the weight competition was completed last night. In the shot put., sophomore Gerry Hevern captured fourth place for the Crimson with a put of 47' 6 1/4". He trailed left-handed Phil Conway of B.U., who had a winning distance of 53' 2 1/4". Krause finished second.

Weight is Highlight

But it was the duel between Krause and Nosal that provided the excitement for the evening. In the second round of the preliminary tosses, Krause outdistanced the remainder of the field with a 59' throw. The B.C. weightmen had thrown 58' in practice during the year, but his best toss in competition had been only 57' 4".

In the qualifying rounds Nosal appeared incapable of breaking the 59' barrfer. He threw the weight 62' 2" last year in this meet and has a season high of 59' 93 1/2" but the junior weightman has participated in three meets in the last seven days and was not primed for the match. The 59' 2 1/4" toss on the next to last throw was just enough to edge the tiring Krause.

Nosal Sluggish

Nosal was not extremely pleased with his winning performance, "I felt sluggish," he said. "I participated in another meet

number one epee position. His sharpness and speed are not what they (were in earlier matches, but he should still be able to win two bouts. Mark Irvings and Eliot Hurwitz round out the epee team.

With this lineup, the Crimson could, if it were lucky, win 12 bouts, two short of a victory. However, coach Edo Marion, always optimistic, saw some hope. "It would not surprise me if we won," he said, sheepishly.