Deans Agree To Open Bids On Harkness Committee to Evaluate Plans of 4 Companies

Two Harvard administrators decided last week to call in bids from four companies-Saga Foods, Stouffer Foods, the Harvard Food Service, and Marriott Hot Shoppes-for the operation of the Harkness Common Dining Hall next year.

William L. Bruce '46, vice dean of the Law School, and Richard D. Leahy, assistant dean for Resources and Planning, called in the director of Harvard Food Services and student government leaders on March 6 for consultation.

The previous week, students organized by SLOP (Students for Less Over Pricing) boycotted Harkness-protesting price increases, the deterioration of the food, and a "no-seconds" policy.

According to Bruce, Harvard will pick one catering agency whose bid will provide the greatest profit for Harkness. "We are looking for a plan that meets students needs but does not need subsidies," said Bruce.

No Profit

Since its inception, Harkness has never shown a profit. The Harvard Food Service, which first contracted the job, quit after one year because of large losses. Harvard then gave Stouffers the job but took it away last spring after the company contracted losses of nearly $11,000 per month.

Since Marriott took over operations in September. Harkness has been losing $20,000 a month. David L. Laughlin, cafeteria manager for Marriott, said that

the new prices, effective Spring semester, were necessary to cut the deficits. The lessees are made up from tuition fees of students in the Law School and GSAS.

Bruce, Leahy, and four students from the dorm and graduate councils will form a committee to judge the preliminary proposals and the final drafts presented by the companies.

"If anyone has a solution, I expect the professionals to have the best one, but interested students' ideas will be discussed by the whole committee," said Bruce.