McCann Talks On Ireland

"We are going to have conflict and we are going to unite until the workers have their rights," said Eammon McCann, radical Labour Party leader from Derry. Northern Ireland, last night to an audience of more than 100 at Harvard Hall.

McCann said he is trying to unify the two factions to work together for social equality for the downtrodden worker. He wants to remedy the problems of 30 percent unemployment and of discrimination in the job and housing market.

Socialist Solution

Born in a Catholic slum, McCann began his movement for civil rights in March, 1968. "I am presenting an alternative to the Catholic-Protestant struggle. I am offering a socialist solution." he said.

On a three week tour of the United States, McCann said he has a dual objective: to educate both the public and himself. "By finding out about movements here. I can improve my own civil rights movement," he said.

Black Panthers

McCann said he is particularly interested in the Black Panther movement. The Catholics, while barricading their section against police attack, showed movies of the Panthers, which received tremendous attention. "All the young lads identified with the Panthers," he said.

"I am trying to get across that there is not a war between the Catholics and the Protestants as much as there is a tendency for mobilization of both religions to obtain social justice," he added.