Ecologists Versus Edison

The Harvard Ecology Coalition, a consolidation of undergraduate and graduate ecology grups, will fight Boston Edison's attempt to get unlimited rates at a Department of Public Utilities hearing today at Government Center.

Boston Edison is asking to raise electricity rates in conjunction with fuel price increases.

On April 21 and 22 the Harvard Ecology Coalition is sponsoring a two day environment program, part of a national movement. "The event," said chairman Richard Mayer, a third-year Design School student, "is to increase the concern for the quality of the environment, and to educate people with regard to some of the more pressing problems."

The April 21 program will feature a seven-man symposium: Dr. Barry Commner, an ecologist at Washington University; Massachusetts State Senator John J. Moakley; Senator Edmund Muskie (D-Maine); Theodore Levitt, professor of Business Administration: George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology; Dr. George Wiley, president of the Welfare Rights Association; and Malcolm Rifkin, a Washington city planner.

On April 22 the Coalition will organize a march from the Boston Common to Government Center, where two Congressmen wil speak.

Die-In

The march will continue to Logan Airport for a "die-in" to protest the development of the supersonic transport and the expansion of Logan. At the airport, the group plans to unload coffins and provide guerrilla theatre.