Offense is Strong Point Stickmen Head for South Hoping to Avoid Disaster

By Bennett H. Beach

Despite the fact that several good players have decided not to come out this spring a potent offense and good late-winter weather have enabled this year's lacrosse team to approach its season with justified optimism.

The team must overcome, however, its upcoming spring trip-an event which has become an annual disaster and which contributed heavily to last spring's disappointing record. Harvard tends to incur many injuries and develop low morale, after losing during the week to some of the nation's top lacrosse colleges.

Captain Bruce Regan emphasized yesterday that the way the Crimson reacts to losses during this trip will be very important to the rest of the season. "How we come back the day after our first loss will be crucial." he said.

Regan does not expect as many injuries as usual because the team has been practicing outside for three weeks. Generally the team goes South in terrible condition, extremely vulnerable to injury.

Being outside has also helped the team's spirit. The stickmen had been practicing nights in Briggs Cage, where they had to contend with a pitcher's mound and burned out lights which Buildings and Grounds never got around to replacing.

Discipline

Regan, too, has been trying to develop in this spring's team the discipline which has been so absent in recent years. Recently, while the Crimson was doing its daily 100 jumping jacks someone got out of step on number 75, and Regan had everyone start all over again. "He's a great drilling instructor." back-up goalie Brian Landry said.

This year's squad, like the one before it, is basing its hopes on a powerful offense. John Ince, the Ivy scoring leader two years ago and runner-up last year, is the playmaker on the first attack, just like last spring's Juniors Phil Zuckerman and Cle Landolt are his linemates.

The midfielders are also good offensively Regan, Bobby Johnson, and Paul Bloom are on the first line, while Rick Frisbie. Leif Rosenberger, and Ted Rumsey form the second.

The midfielders and attack have been working on plays together, particularly on setting up specific men to take shots. "Instead of just running around helter skelter, we have some plays." Regan beamed.

The defense however, is not as strong as most of those in the Ivy League. The midfielders are better in the offensive aspect of the game, and the defense behind them is the same one that had an average of over nine goals scored against it in Ivy games last spring. There is also a lack of depth.

Bill Bennett will be at crease defense, and Bob McDowell, who has suffered from injuries his last two years, will be one of his companions. The other defenseman will be either Don Gogel or Bob Kettle.

Two Defensemen Shun the Stick

Two members of last year's defense-Pete Barber and goalie Kirby Wilcox-are not playing this spring. Barber and his brother Robby are passing up lacrosse to concentrate on a business they operate, while Whilcox has said that he does not find the lacrosse program attractive. For various reasons some of last year's best fres?? are not coming out, either.