SDS Leads Demonstration Against IDA Recruitment; Interview Not Obstructed

By Garrett Epps

About 90 students, led by members of SDS, staged a non-disruptive sit in at Pierce Hall yesterday to protest the presence of a recruiter from the Institute for Defense Analysis (IDA).

The demonstration caused no substantial disruption of the interviews Peter S. McKinney, director of the laboratories of the divison of Engineering and Applied Physics, said yesterday.

Richard V. Jones, associate dean of Engineering and Applied Physics-who was present throughout the demonstration "to preserve orderly procedures"-said he would not bring any charges against students who participated in the sit-in.

"I won't bring any charges based on actions directed toward me," Jones said. "I can't testify about what happened around the back of the building."

This was the first successful attempt at a demonstration against a recruiter at Harvard this year. When recruiters from Honeywell and the Naval Weapons Laboratory had-learned that demonstrations were planned, they cancelled their visits.

About 100 students gathered at 11 a.m. on the steps of University Hall for a rally before the demonstration. Michael W. Macy '70 told the rally that the IDA-which conducts classified research on weapons systems for the Department of Defense-was "in the ???? guard of Dr. Strangelove weapo???.

SDS leaflets which were ???? at the rally charged that IDA ???? veloping "incredibly sadistic te???? for putting down rebellions of ???? people, students and workers."

The demonstrators then marched out of the Yard and down Oxford St, to Pierce Hall gathering on the second floor outside the room where the interviews were being conducted. Jones stood in the doorway to prevent the protestors from entering.

Asked if the recruiter would come into the hall to discuss IDA's research policies, Jones said. "I think he's got the message. The bullhorns are loud enough."

Finding a ladder behind the building,Charles S. Ross '71 and Jonathan B. Sands '71 climbed up to one of the windows of the interview room. When the interviewer came to the window, Sands, Ross, and a group of about 20 demonstrators shouted questions.

The recruiter-who identified himself as Thomas Shirhal-said that IDA "helps the Defense Department select among competing systems" to decide which system will operate most effectively so that average people can use it."

To charges by students that IDA was producing devices to be used against rioters at home and insurgents in other countries, Shirhal said. "We don't make anything. We make absolutely nothing."

Inside the building, several demonstrators suggested that students enter the room to prevent Shirhal from conducting interviews. Daniel A, Gensler '72 argued against the proposal and said, "I call 'violence' intimidation. If that is the policy of this group I'm walking out."

At about 12:45 p.m. the group voted on a motion to enter the office. After two close votes the motion was dropped.

The group-now down to about 50-applauded when McKinney told them at 1 p.m. that one student had cancelled his interview. "We've heard a lot about intimidation." McKinney said. "I think he was probably intimidated."

To the Faculty Club

Shirhal, escorted by Jones, left Pierce Hall for lunch at 2. p.m. About half the demonstrators walked behind them into the Faculty Club, passing a startled President Pusey in the second floor hall. The demonstrators followed Shirhal and Jones to a private dining room, waited outside while they ate, and followed them back to Pierce Hall.

The group then voted not to prevent students from entering the office to be interviewed. McKinney escorted two students through the crowd to the office, and three more were interviewed after the group voted to leave at 4:30 p.m.

McKinney said yesterday that one student who had signed up to be interviewed in the afternoon had failed to show up, but indicated that this was "about normal." "People do sign up far in advance and often they don't have very much interest in the company."