Freshman Skaters Stagger To Sloppy Exeter Victory

Aserappy Exeter squad held a lethargic Harvard freshman hockey team to a sloppy 3-1 win yesterday at Watson Rink.

The victory was the 15th consecutive one for the Yardlings and brought their record to 17-1 with one game remaining.

The game marked the lowest goal production of the year for the high-scoring Crimson, who have been averaging 7.5 goals per game. The freshmen's previous goal-scoring low was five goals in a 6-5 loss to B. U, and in wins over B. C. and the Harvard JV's.

For the first time this year scoring ace David Hynes did not pick up a point. He has scored goals in 14 games for a season total of ?9, and with 25 assists he has a point total of 64. Linemate Bob McManama, picking up an unassisted goal against Exeter, now has 55 points.

Overconfidence

From the outset of the game it was clear that Harvard was overconfident and merely out to bolster its scoring record. Lazy defensive play and missed passes marred the game, which had been expected to be a thorough rout.

At 4:43 Jim Thomson opened the scoring by poking in the puck after a melee in front of the Exonians' net with defenseman Bob Muse picking up a assist. Ten minutes of frustrating hockey followed until McManama stole a pass at the red line and, going in alone, beat the goalie on a shot into the upper right-hand corner of the net. The first period ended with the score at 2-0.

Coach Bill Cleary sent the team back on the ice after a blistering talk, but there was little change as the Crimson had trouble clearing the zone and mounting an effective attack. At 7:03 Exeter surprised the Yardlings with a point-blank goal by Ron Merritt.

The shock seemed to do some good, as minutes later Harry Reynolds scored unassisted to raise the score to 3-1. But the Crimson returned to its bad habits as the passes failed to click and the defensemen failed to stop the ice-length rushes.

Thoroughly Disgusted

A thoroughly disgusted Cleary warned the team to "stop this nonsense" and again the injunction seemed to do some good. Exeter goalie Rich Powers thwarted some picture plays before the Crimson returned to its lethargy.