Ed School Cuts Budget As Federal Funds End

A $2.5 million drop in government grants has forced the School of Education to cut back spending in all areas for the academic year 1969-70.

The government grants were tied up in three five-year programs-Harvard Project Physics, Project Nigeria, and a Research and Development Center-which ended this year. Due to cut-backs in government spending, no new programs have been established.

The present Ed School budget, which totals $5.5 million, is its lowest since 1965. Government contributions are down $2 million from 1967 when Washington provided 60 per cent of the school's budget.

Indirect grants which complemented direct allotments under these programs enabled the Ed School to increase scholarships and faculty size. However, the School must now reduce spending in these areas due to lack of funds.

Those faculty members hired strictly for the three projects will not be rehired. Other Faculty members will also be eliminated, although Paul A. Perry, assistant dean of the Ed School, was unable to say who they would be.

Richard R. Rowe, associate dean for administration at the Ed School, said that the department would also be cutting back on its library services and trimming down the size of its admissions office staff. Money allocated for building the new Ed School library will be leveled off, though Rowe said he hoped that the building would be completed without delay.

Students Hit Hardest

The decrease in government money has hit students the hardest. Financial aid dropped considerably this year and is expected to fall off again next year. "Financial aid for students studying for their masters or doctorates will probably decrease 30 per cent for the coming school year." Perry said yesterday.

Prospective Teacher Fellowships, a government program which provided $132.000 to prepare elementary and secondary school teachers, will not be in operation next year. M. Lawrence Kaseman, assistant to the dean for financial aid, said that the government had chosen to fund research and local agencies, such as themodel cities project, rather than devote money to this program.

Tuition has already been raised from $2400 to $2600 for the coming school year and Rowe predicts it will rise another $200 in 1971-72.

Loans

"We will attempt to help students financially by using the money we have to pay interest on government loans," said Rowe, "One dollar of scholarship aid buys $20 worth of loans," he explained.

However, such a program may not be very attractive for EI School students, Kaseman said, because "Ed School students don't make enough money when they graduate to easily pay off such loans." Prospective students are turning to Columbia, Stanford and the University of Chicago for scholarship aid, he added.

The Ed School is largely dependent on the government for its operating funds since its endowment and tuition income are relatively small. The Business School alumni fund reached the million-dollar mark and both the Law and Medical Schools raised well over a half-million dollars last year. while the Ed School alumni fund raised less than $25,000.

"Termination of government programs coupled with a small endowment has left the Ed School administration with little other choice than cut the budget again in fiscal '71," said Rowe.