Superb Effort By Colburn Gives Him Second In Mile

By Bennett H. Beach

(Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, N.Y., March 7-Harvard's Keith Colburn turned in an exceptional effort in the ICAA mile run tonight at Madison Square Garden and only a strong finishing kick by Villanova's Marty Liquori enabled him to pass Colburn for the win in 4:02.1, a new meet record.

Most of Harvard's other entrants performed satisfactorily, but not spectacularly, and the Crimson could earn only eight points. Villanova, with 351/2 points. won the team title for the fourth consecutive year.

Colburn, who probably would have won the 1000 if he had entered. chose to compete in the mile because he wanted a good race Both he and Liquori let others set the early pace, but near the middle of the race. Colburn started moving up and took the lead with about 600 yards remaining.

Liquori Waits to Move

He stretched his lead to perhaps ten yards as the crowd became increasingly noisy. Liquori, meanwhile, was running third, and made his move with a lap and a half to go. The spectators became even louder as he started closing the gap on Colburn and finally passed him just before the gun lap.

Colburn tried to stick to Liquori, but he couldn't do it and finished second in 4:03.6. easily his personal best time and almost two seconds faster than Liquori's former meet record.

Ed Nosal, defending champion in the 35-pound weight throw. was third tonight with a toss of 599 and three-quarter inches. If he could have thrown the weight 61'101/2" as he did in January at the BAA Meet, he would have won.

Pottetti Leads Out

The Crimson's other point-scorer was Dave Pottetti in the two-mile run, in which he was fifth. Pottetti, who usually stays back at the start, went out in the lead tonight. "I just didn't want to get boxed in, "Pottetti explained. "But no one went with me even though I wasn't going that fast."

After five laps of the 22-lap race. Jerry Richey of Pittsburgh went by him. and after another two laps. Pottetti was running eighth. He never challenged after that, but did rally enough to turn in the best time of his career-8:54.6, two seconds faster than his winning time in the Big Three two weeks ago.

In an event which did not count in the team standings, Harvard's freshman medley relay team led almost the entire race only to lose by a narrow margin to Fordham. Marcel Philippe hung right behind the Crimson's Dave Elliott in the mile leg then started a kick that Elliot failed to match.