Terrell Wins Intercollegiate Squash Title

By Robert W. Gerlach

(Special to the CRIMSON)

PRINCETON. N.J., March 8-Senior Larry Terrell completed his collegiate squash career today when he smashed Penn's Palmer Page. 15-7, 15-6, 15-4, to win the intercollegiate individual title on Princeton's new Jad win Courts.

Terrell's lop-sided three-game sweep concluded the three-day tournament in which Harvard humiliated the 25 participating teams by placing five men in the three division finals.

In the "B" tournament the Crimson's Fernando Gonzalez, number three throughout the year. whipped Ed Atwood. Harvard's number four in three straight games. The victory was especially rewarding to Gonzalez for he was unseeded by the tournament committee although Atwood. behind him on the team ladder, was seeded fourth.

Jaime Gonzalez, playing his best squash of the year, upset Penn's Anil Kapnr in four perfectly played games. 10-15, 15-11, 15-13, 15-10, in a "C" division semifinal. Gonzalez then edged teammate Dave Fish for Harvard's third championship.

The three division format was established to stimulate team competition. but Harvard's well-balanced squad ran away with the six-man title. The Crimson compiled 29 victories, ten more than second-place Penn.

Terrell Keeps Cool

Page was determined to win his match with Terrell and he tried several stalling ?ac?ies before the match to assert his dominance on the court. Terrell, on the other hand, remained calm and rushed to an early lead on perfectly placed deep smashes and three-wall nicks.

Page started the match well. But it was characteristic of the game that as the crowd applauded what appeared at be a f??l shot. Terrell would suddenly come up with the impossible return.

After falling behind 3-7 in the first game Page became very tense forcing his shots and attempting risky place-???s. He took every point as a match point and became more and more tense as Terrell increased his lead.

Down 15-7, 15-6, Page finally relaxed at the start of the third game and his new ease gave him a quick two-point lead. But Terrell responded to the challenge by taking 15 of the last 17 points.

"He was fantastic unbelievably fantastic." Page said of Terrell. It was an understatement.