Dean May Reveals Another Twist In Cliffie Vote For Coed Houses

Dean May offered another clarification yesterday of the coed living plan for next year with an explanation of the complex computerized voting system to determine which Houses will go coed.

May said that whether a House goes coed depends not on its absolute popularity among the 480 voting Cliffies, but on its popularity relative to its total spaces available for women.

For instance, he said, a House with 60 spaces available and 60 or more first-place votes would automatically become coed, while a House with 130 spaces and 60 first-place votes might not. The latter House would go coed only if it received enough second or third-place votes, May added.

May said next year's sophomores have been allowed to apply to only six of the nine Houses because "we didn't want them too spread out among the Houses." "Because freshmen Cliffies haven't had as long as the upperclasswomen to get to know the other girls in their class, we wanted to insure them a higher number of women from their class," May added.

May said that Quincy, Kirkland, and Mather were the three chosen because they had the smallest number of spaces available for women next year.

May added that this application procedure was essential to the committee's suggested four-year coed plan. Under this plan, the three Houses to which freshmen Cliffies could not apply would be rotated each year so that eventually all nine Houses could become coed.