Nine Clashes With Eagles In Greater Boston Opener

By Robert W. Gerlach

Righthanded reliever Phil Collins and southpaw J. C. Nickens will share the mound today as the Crimson nine opens its defense of the Greater Boston League title against Boston College at the Eagles' field.

After the team's two losses this past weekend, Harvard coach Loyal Park has decided to experiment with his starting pitching rotation.

Collins, originally slated for long relief roles, earned the starting berth when he held Princeton to one hit in 51/3 innings. The junior hurler has yielded only one run in 16 innings this spring. Park attributes Collins' success to his strong sidearm delivery.

Nickens pitched well in the loss to Columbia Saturday, limiting the Lions to four hits in five innings. "I'll use him at some point in the game just to give him the extra workout." Park said.

Tom Kidwell, another relief pitcher who looked strong against Columbia, and leftfielder Bill Kelly, who pitched nine innings on the spring tour without allowing a run, will be tested as possible starters Thursday against Springfield.

Mound Rotation

"Collins, Kidwell, (Dave) Fierke, and (Curt) Tucker all pitched well in relief this weekend." Park said. "We'll give them all a turn on the mound this week before we decide who will start in the Dartmouth doubleheader this weekend."

Park indicated that there will be no major changes in the lineup today. "After losing your first few games there is a tendency to panic," Park said. "But we have a good ball club and it's just a matter of settling down with the line-up we have."

B. C. Hurlers Shaky

Boston College (2-1) also has had its problems with pitching, and coach Eddie Pellagrini will probably call on his only reliable hurler, senior Ray La Gace, today. The Eagles have beaten Brandeis and Colby, two weak teams, and were trounced by Massachusetts, 16-4.

Harvard went undefeated in the GBL last season to win its tenth league title in 17 years. Northeastern has an experienced mound staff and a sophomore infield that handed the Yardling nine its only defeat last year, 13-10. The Huskies and Harvard are the league favorites, while M. I. T. and B. C. appear capable of upsetting the leaders.