Three Freshmen Plan Not to Choose Major

Three Harvard freshmen have decided not to indicate a field of concentration on their concentration preference cards.

The three-Michael G. Fisher 73, Lee Jaslow '73, and James A. Wong '73-announced their intentions in notices posted in all the freshman dormitories.

"We don't want to ask other people to do as we will do,"Jaslow said yesterday. "We just want people to think about their education and come to their own conclusions."

The New College Group (NCG) plans to urge freshmen to indicate as their major the NCG's proposed field of "general studies" or to refuse to hand in concentration cards, Douglas A. Pastel '73, a member of the NCG said yesterday.

According to F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38, dean of freshmen, there is a $10 fine for not handing in the concentration card by May 1; but there is no fine for indicating a major in "general studies."

Would Not Guarantee

However, students must be recommended by a department in order to graduate, von Stade said. If a student is not enrolled in a department, he probably would not graduate, he added.

The NCG will also circulate a petition a against the concentration requirement, Andrew S. Narva '73, freshman representative on the Committee on Undergraduate Education and a member of the NCG, said yesterday.

"We don't like the idea of a petition," Jaslow said. "If a person needs the security of a group I'm not sure he really means what he's doing," he added.

The three freshmen plan to submit with their concentration cards their reasons for believing that concentration is detrimental to a liberal education.