Sweep of Singles Matches Gives Netmen 7-2 Triumph

By John L. Powers

Harvard's tennis team, still unbeaten in Northern competition, swept through overmanned Brown in six straight-set singles matches and surprised its guests at first doubles yesterday afternoon at Cambridge to roll to an easy 7-2 victory, its fourth straight triumph.

Only the Crimson's top man, junior Bill Washauer, experienced problems on the singles ladder, and he still disposed of Brown's Don Smith in two relatively problem-free sets, 7-5, 8-6. Elsewhere on the lineup, the results were the same as they have been for a week-and that augurs well for Harvard's first real Northern test. a showdown with Pennsylvania next Wednesday at Cambridge.

Two and Three

Sophomore Dave Fish slashed Pete Guterman at number two 6-0, 6-1, and Chris Nielsen followed with a 6-2, 7-5 whitewashing of Bruin hockey captain Curt Bennett at three.

Joe Cavanagh. rapidly becoming one of the most dependable singles performers on the Harvard roster, breezed by Jeff Kaplan, 6-9, 6-1, at the fourth position, and junior Bill Brock, one of the more underrated members of the Crimson squad dumped John Bennett at five, 6-2, 6-1. to clinch the match.

Surprise at First

Crimson captain Butch Kawakami followed with a 6-0, 6-4 triumph over Brown's Chuck Johnson at six to complete the singles sweep. then teamed with sophomore Rick Devereux, with whom he has been battling for the sixth singles spot, to surprise Smith and Curt Bennett at first doubles, 6-2, 6-2.

But that was as far as the rout was to progress. With juniors Bruce Price and Ric Barton substituting for Fish and Cavanagh at second doubles. and Brook and senior Bill Ball at the third spot. the Crimson lost both of the final two doubles contests to Brown entrants who ranked higher on the singles ladder than their Harvard opponents.

Straight Sets

Bruins John Bennett and Bickel won in straight sets. 6-4, 6-4, at second doubles, and Guterman and Johnson swept a 6-1, 6-2 victory at number three.

Harvard's next match will take place Saturday at Williams.