Varsity Golf Team Travels to New York For Dual Match with Columbia, Penn

The varsity golf team finishes off a busy week with a dual match against Columbia and Penn today at Rockland Country Club in Sparkhill, New York.

The undefeated Crimson must be rated a heavy favorite over the Columbia squad which has won only one of four contests this year with one returning letterman. However, Penn. 6-1 overall, has virtually all of its lettermen returning from last year's squad that went 8-8-1, and should give the Crimson a tough contest.

"The Penn match is the big one," said captain Yank Heisler, who plays number one. "We've been pointing towards it all week it's our first League match of the year," he said.

The Crimson began the week with identical 5-2 victories over Williams and B.C. on Tuesday, then whipped Tufts, 7-0, and edged Amherst, 4-3, in a down-to-the-wire finish Wednesday. The second dual match was the result of rescheduling due to wet courses the week before.

Last year when Penn came to Cambridge it took a 7-0 thrashing, but in 1968 an undefeated Crimson team was surprised by a 5-2 Quaker win in Philadelphia. "That was really a good team, and Penn knocked them down," Heisler said. "Last year's score was just a fluke. Penn always has good teams; we'll have a tough match. I would expect a score of 4-3." he said.

Penn's sole loss of the year was to Rutgers, but it has registered two Ivy victories. over Columbia, 7-0, and Brown, 5-2.

Lee Burke is the Quakers' number one, and as a sophomore he lost to Heisler in the first round of last year's Easterns. In addition to the returnees, Penn has a strong contingent of sophomores fighting for starting slots. Rookie Tim Megear at number four has a 7-0 record.

Lion Squad

Columbia, with only one letterman returning from last year's 4-11 team, has seven sophomores on its nine-man squad. A win over Queens prefaced Lion losses to Penn, Brown, and Yale. Bill Senton, who took last year off. will be playing one after beginning the season at number two and three. Captain Dan Basarich and sophomore Don Kronig will be at two and three.

Heisler and Jack Purdy at number two have identical 3-2 records for the Crimson, while Tim Schaaf at three is undefeated in five matches. Cooch Owen, 2-1 at four, missed the B.C.-Williams contest because of infected lips, but will travel to Columbia.

The Crimson will participate in the Greater Bostons on Tuesday.